…is a list of categorized “M” questions designed for one who is on the quest to grow as a whole person. To get maximum benefit from these questions, consider 4 dimensions of the growth process:
- Dialogue– Be open with your answers as you talk to yourself or a friend.
- Discovery -Be prepared to explore and uncover some new things about yourself. Hold those new findings humbly and void of judgment
- Determination – When we grapple with hard questions, it is easy to sidestep them. A quest demands courage and perseverance. Don’t give up on your quest!
- Destination – Growth is your destination!
The questions require an open and ready attitude and are arranged under four categories:
Master (relationship with God, the Master),
Mankind (relationship with others),
Myself (relationship with my outer life),
Microscope (relationship with my inner life).
Click the “+” sign next to each M to view the questions.
- Am I thankful for gifts? Name a few.
- Am I aware of signs of goodness throughout my day? Name some from the last 7 days.
- How do I express thanks for them?
- Have I recently observed something so inspiring that it led me to say, “Wow!” ? What was it?
- In what ways can I share these discoveries with others?
- On a 1 – 5 scale (difficult – easy) how easy is it for me to settle down and be still? If my # is low, what are the factors that have made it so? What could I do to develop a more meditative heart?
- Am I regularly praying, reading and meditating on passages from the Bible and/or other significant books? If so, what are some passages that have been the most meaningful and why?
- Am I listening to uplifting music?
- Am I developing a wholesome soundtrack for my soul? If not, how could I begin to do so?
- What are the first three songs that come to mind?
- Do any of them have helpful, hopeful lyrics? What are they?
- Am I memorizing Scripture portions? Which ones?
- Do I recite them to myself and to others when appropriate?
- What are the 4 – 5 passages that have been meaningful to me that I could commit to memory? Why is each one so important?
- Am I memorizing other key quotes that have inspired me?
- Are there any personal issues that I have not been able to figure out? (Relational, vocational, spiritual, etc.) What are they? Can I do anything about them?
- How does this make me feel? How do I cope with this?
- Is there something I need to change as I deal with this issue? (My perspective, attitude, actions?)
- How about societal issues? What can I do about them?
- On a scale of 1 to 5 how effectively am I coping with the mystery in my life?
- What words described my marriage a year ago? Describe it. Is there any change? Better or worse? In what ways? What can I do about it? When will I start?
- Am I communicating honestly and regularly with my spouse? With my children?
- How much focused time do I give to my spouse? To my children?
- Am I withholding anything from my spouse which I must tell him/her? If so, when will I tell him/her?
- Do we have regular date nights as a couple? When is our next date night? What will we do?
- What are my gifts, talents and skills? How am I using them to serve others? Give a recent example.
- What part does prayer play in my life?
- When I say, “I’m praying for you” how do I follow through?
- How do I offer a helping hand to both the friend and the stranger in practical ways?
- Things could be worse!” How have I been shown mercy?
- How do I express thanks for that?
- How do I overlook faults in myself when I judge others? What excuses do I make for myself? How can I offer the same mercy to others?
- In my dealings with others, if Justice is #1 and Mercy is #5, how do I rank myself?
- How can I grow in mercy?
- How am I driven by the Fatal Four Words – “What Will People Think”?
- How am I adjusting my behavior to make others think better of me?
- How does the opinion of others impact me?
- What new perspective can help me take off the mask? On a scale of 1 to 5, how close am I to taking off the mask?
- How am I regularly engaging with people? In general, how do I feel when I do so? (See Six Steps To Engage blog entry.)
- How am I isolating from others? If so, what are my reasons?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how engaged am I with others?
- In what ways can I become more engaged?
- Do I have a circle of close friends? Why or why not?
- What do I look for in a good friend?
- How do I show appreciation to my friend(s)?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, I am doing well as a good friend. In what ways?
- Do I have a confidant with whom I can be vulnerable? Who?
- When will I meet him/her? (Consider using “Mprove” as a springboard for engaging.)
- How can I find a confidant?
- Am I being a good example to others? How so?
- What people have been good examples to me? In what specific ways?
- What is (was) it about them that had the most impact on me: Appearance, Words, Attitude, Behaviors, etc?
- Could I be a better example? It what ways? What would that require me to do?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied am I with my own example to others?
- Name three people who live with significance. How do they do that?
- Does my life have meaning?
- Do I feel I am playing a significant part in the human race; in the lives of people around me? In what ways am I doing that?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, do I live in significance?
- Do I depend too much on food and drink to make me feel better? If so, give an example.
- If I am taking prescription medication, am I doing so properly?
- Am I over-dependent on any non-prescribed substances? What are they?
- Am I regularly exercising?
- What is my fitness regime? Is it enough?
- If I don’t exercise regularly, why not?
- When was my last check-up? How was it?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how fit am I?
- Am I eating healthy things?
- Am I overeating? Am I under eating?
- How am I demonstrating discipline in my eating habits?
- How am I saying wholesome, helpful things?
- Have I said anything I regret? If so, should I do anything about that?
- Am I keeping my promises?
- How am I controlling the things I say?
- On a scale of 1 to 5 how encouraging are my words?
- Do I budget my money?
- Am I paying my debts?
- In what ways am I saving?
- How do I make decisions about significant purchases?
- How am I supporting those in need?
- How can I be more generous?
- On a scale from 1 to 5, how generous am I?
- Do I have any mental, emotional, relational, or physical pain?
- On a scale of 1 to 5 how patient am I in enduring pain? Does it fluctuate dramatically? If so, why?
- As a result of my pain, how has my view of the world and of God changed?
- If I were told that the pain would be permanent, what are three prominent feelings that would surface?
- I have no pain now, but is there anything I can do now to prepare myself for it in the future?
- Am I on time for my appointments?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how well do I manage my time?
- What are time drainers in my schedule?
- What can I do to gain better control of my time?
- What scheduling strategies have worked well?
- Do I give significant others ample and focused time?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, what is my “ZzzQ” in quality and quantity?
- How many hours of sleep am I getting at night?
- Am I a “toss ‘n turner”?
- If I awaken at night for more than 30 minutes, how do I use my time?
- What keeps me awake? Anxiety, stress, caffeine, crying babies, pain, etc.?
- What can I do to experience more peace and relaxation?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how clear am I on my life’s purpose? What is it?
- How will I determine my mission?
- Am I satisfied with this? What steps am I taking now to fulfill that mission?
- Are there any reasons to re-think my mission?
- Do I feel confused, perplexed by a “mess” in my life?
- What can I do to clean up the part over which I have control?
- When and how will I do that?
- What can I do to grow a hopeful mindset about the mess in my life?
- On a scale of 1 to 5 how confident am I that I can straighten up the areas of need in my life?
- Do I feel I have enough time to do what I need to do each day?
- On a scale of 1(constantly) –5(never), how often do I feel rushed?
- Do I feel a need for more space in my schedule?
- If so, how can I create it?
- What positive routines do I have in my life? Should I add any?
- Am I consistent?
- In the places where I am inconsistent, what specific steps could I take to make them more habitual?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, am I marching forward and creating healthy habits in areas of my life? (Give an example)
- What point do I want to make with my life?
- What difference will my life make?
- What will my legacy be?
- What do I want people to say at my funeral?
- How am I developing my message?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied am I with the message of my life?
- How am I feeling emotionally?
- On a scale of 1 – 10, where would I rank myself today? (see the detailed scale below)
- How long have I been at that level? Is that good or not?
3 Depressed, Angered
4 Sad, Feeling low
5 Flat – Neither depressed nor joyful
7 Confident, Satisfied, Happy
8 Joyous, energetic
9 Hyper, bubbly
10 Manic, out of control
- What things or thoughts lower/raise my number?
- How can I achieve balance?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, am I doing things for the right reasons?
- What are my key motivators?
- How am I motivated by love in my actions?
- How important is getting recognition?
- How can I live more nobly?
- Am I keeping my eyes off porn and other online or print trash?
- Am I refusing the 2nd look at a tempting person, video, picture etc?
- Am I having unhealthy fantasies?
- Do I have an obsession over online gaming?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how is my morality?
- What can I do to improve that number?
- Am I procrastinating?
- What must I do in the next 5 days that I am not motivated to do?
- Am I responding to valid, inner promptings?
- What things are getting in the way of accomplishing my life goals?
- What can I do to overcome my inertia?
- On a scale of 1 to 5 how well am I completing my tasks?
- Do I take time to ponder significant ideas? If so, how do I do that?
- What do I do with ideas that come to mind?
- On a scale of 1 to 5 how effectively do I record my thoughts?
- In what ways can I improve my thinking process?
- Do I have any words/phrases that I say often, in certain situations? What are they?
- How are they helping/hurting me? Do they express frustration, insight, goodwill, faith?
- Would I mind posting my mantras on Facebook or Twitter? If not, why not?
- Consider a replacement for the poor ones. What would they be?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how healthy are my mantras?
- Do I have someone who regularly gives me advice?
- Who are the people to whom I give permission to speak into my life? How have I applied their advice?
- What do I look for in a good mentor?
- What steps will I take to find one?
- Am I a mentor to anyone? How can I become one?
- What steps am I taking to be more teachable?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how am I growing as a life-long learner?